Monday, August 27, 2007

History of the Americas

Hmmm...not really sure where I am going with this.


In history class today we were talking about the origin of american culture in terms of the native tribes of the indians. The question arose as to how we view and obtain information about people/culture before writing. The answer is semi obvious in that we look at artifacts and piece together ideas of what the life and times of the people looked like. But then the teacher said something that made me think, "Because of course we knnnnow that when people write things down they dont change anything to make themselves or who they support look better." Yea yea yea I know that, but then he went on to say, " What if someone picked up your diary (journal if that is more manly) and read it? Would you edit out the cigarette you smoked? What about the pack?"

Other than the initial reaction i had about people and thier views of smoking, his question really sparked my thoughts. Why is it that everyone wants to look best in his or her own eyes? How is it that if someone were to just watch my life and never heard a word I said they would come to an vastly different conclusion as to why I live and breath? What would my bones and remains tell that my words wouldnt? Or reverse the question to ask what my words portray that my life doesnt?

-----

VitalKey early in the a.m. so its lights out time.


d

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks