Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Gym and International Relations

In case it isnt paintfully obvious, I enjoy writing titles to blogs that say, "This and That." The reason I do that is because I would like to have people lean back in the chair and say, "WOW he is profound." I realize that if I wanted to truly be profound I would do it with the post itself, but honestly the title is just easier. So hopefully everyone feels that way. If not, I just...dont...like...you.


Alright - the Gym.
So here is the quick rundown on the life and times of Drew Cowles in terms of the scale. The first time weight ever really "officially" got in the way of me doing things is when I tried to play football. I played one season in grade school. I can still close my eyes and see the look of the coach and the room when he said that because of my weight I would have to play with guys my age. I am pretty sure I was in the 4th grade, and he told me I was looking at playing with 8th or even high school kids. Great. That will be just awsome to get creamed by a bunch of post-puberty guys that can actually dictate where they want their limbs to go. They told me that I had to drop weight, and gave me suggestions as to how that would happen. Shorty after that meeting you could have found me in my shower wearing a trash bag on thinking that I was going to die. Fast forward a little to middle school. I can distinctly remember graduating the 8th grade at 225 lbs. I can remember getting out of Blakes car and telling his Dad what I was ringing in at and his response was, "Wow you are a big boy." (Note that the titles of the blog are not trying to elicit that response) Needless to say, I was quickly snatched up by the football coaches at Annandale High, and did that for two years. Football/Baseball, and a natural weight loss left me around 200 lbs at the end of my freshman year. Over the summer I lost some more and was about 185. After my second season of football I was pushing about 175. Christmas time brought about some difficult times and I internalized a bunch of things, and decided eating was dumb. So for about a month I tried not doing that, and lost another 10 which placed me at 165. In less than 20 months I lost 60 pounds (I dont know if that is fast or slow). I remember getting into the car one day and my mom saying, "Baby you are so handsome, but you dont look good. You look like you are on drugs." So life (and time) have brought some of that back on. In fact I had about an 100 lb weight loss/gain/loss/gain/loss shift in the last four years.

If you are still reading after all that crap, you should either be congradulated or smacked.

So recently I have decided (for numerous reasons) to try and keep weight off/be healthy. And today I went to the gym. I ran for a little while, did some arm and back stuff, and then ran/jogged home. I was glad to find that is a good 1.3 miles so its nice.

Thats really all there is to say about that.

----------------

The Decemberists are singing about people running around killing people, in their usual way, which is putting me to sleep - which means the next song on the album will keep me awake, but then I am going to sleep for sure - so I will try to make this fast.

Today in international relations we talked about Political Realism, and there were some things said that really interested me. "Basically he( Hans Morgenthau) feels that because each nation state is made up of individuals, individuals that all want a little bit more, state will always make moves towards power." Apparently we live in a Zero Sum System. Who knew? Anyways, with Power (simple measure of material capability) being a fixed sum, this means that the world doesnt just create power. Everytime one state gets a plus, another one gets a minus. So there is that....

"How do you know if a country is powerful? ITS OBVIOUS! If they have enough missles to blow you up, and then enough money to buy whats left, they are more powerful than you."

The Decemberists are on to the crane wife, which is making me sleepy.

Night everyone.

d

Colin - 174.4
Drew-176.6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2 things:
(1) Just before Ryan & I got together he started working out. When he informed his mother his stepfather overheard & said, "so who's the girl?" so: girl + boy = gym motivation (?). just a theory i'm working on here folks. once i had a ring, he stopped. I'm fine w/that just think it's a funny coincedence....

(2) I heard the Decemberists on NPR recently & as w/almost all NPR featured music intended to go straight home & download some songs...& as with all NPR featured music never got around to it. but i thought they were pretty sweet.