Saturday, September 8, 2007

USA

No, I am not writing a post on the well known United States of America. Instead I am writing about the United Secular Alliance. Last night I had the pleasure of going to their (I guess "our" seeing as I am on the active members list) meeting. I mostly just sat for 2 hours or so and did my best to listen and not come across as some crazy wack job that wanted their souls. After about the first 45 min we got through the administrative things, and got on to our discussion of the night - the separation of church and state. I loved getting to sit in on and be a part of this. I know that as a child the first thought I had when I heard athiest was, "O God hates them." It is so crazy to me that after years of fighting that kind of thing, it STILL SHOWS! I had to fight the whole night to not be what they, and even I, are fighting against

(THIS IS A REALLY STRANGE THING To think that we are both fighting on some issues against the same incorrect or incomplete gospel. Now of course we wouldnt agree on this, but I tried to make it clear that God DID NOT come to give us a set of moral codes. Without going into detail because that wouldnt be cool to just say things other people say in confidence on the internet, and because you should go to the meetings yourself, I told them that the Bible does not leave the option of being a good teaching book. If all the Bible does is teach nice stories, then it is a load of crap. Because just as someone pointed out, it could be seen as "teaching some very bad things." So A. The Bible is NOT meant to only teach us things. From their I tried to take it to a larger scale and say lets assume that the Bible is on a bigger, more meta scale. It is just trying to teach principles about life - WRONG. B. The Bible is NOT only meant to teach about principles. THE BIBLE IS ABOUT JESUS. If we dont grasp that, and the fact that that INCLUDES morality/principles/specifics/the story of our attempt to have God love us based on our attempts to have God love us/sin/love/condemnation/mercy/grace/forgiveness/lots of bloodshed/lots of miracles/a virgin birth/a death on a cross/a bird being set free in the blood of another/talking donkeys/you/me/Atheist/Jew/Gentile. IT IS JESUS, IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN JESUS. HIM AND HIM CRUCIFIED.)



Please. For the LOVE OF GOD - pray that you will understand the love of God.






I did not want to go in there swinging an axe and just have a "bath of blood" (Lord of War, really interesting movie). Granted statistically I was 1/12 in favor of non-christians. So I was rather alone for most of the night, until a rather cute young lady came and sat in on the end of the meeting.

Here were the discussions headlines - Evolution taught in schools, Gay rights, Alabama court house 10 commandments thing, and a few other less talked about subjects.

There was one thing said that people should know about the moment of silence.

Essentially he said that the moment of silence was a completely Christian thing. I areed, but thought it would be hard to really prove on anything other than the, "Lets just say it, and hope everyone agrees" scale. I was so wrong. He said that the instructions have such a clear bias, and the do!

1. You may stay silent.
2.You may pray
3. You must stay in your seat.

He explained that Jewish people pray standing up, and Muslims pray on their knees.

Unfortunately there was a yelling outbreak and a lot of people missed that. Anyways I thought it was great.


More thoughts later.

d

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss those guys. Glad to hear you're going to the meeting.

Jen said...

I'm glad to hear you're going, too.